Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BIG watercolor

Over the weekend I finished the 20X30 watercolor that was assigned on Friday. With the previous illustrations I discovered I like to use black ink first to lay out my composition and come in with the watercolor once I'm finished. The picture I used was a still life of fruit and flowers. I really like painting both of these types of subject matter. I went in with pens of various thickness to add shadow, contour, and depth. After that I went in a variety of bright watercolors. I'd say I spent around 3-4 hours on this. I did the ink on Friday and came back in on Saturday to do the watercolor. I didn't want to spend too much time on any one area because watercolor works best for me when it's quick and fluid and I don't spend forever perfecting details. I'm pleased with the way it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment